Bend your knees and squat down until you touch the floor with the point of your fingers. This step is useful to understand the final position of your legs in Utkatasana.
Bring your bellybutton in, take your tailbone down towards the floor and in towards your pubis. Inhale and bring your arms up, keeping your chest open and your shoulders away from your ears.
If you feel comfortable in this position, you can keep squatting down until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Do not bring the hips lower than the level of the knees.
- Parallel legs
- legs touching each other
- Do not pass the line of your tiptoes with your knees
- Knees pointing straight ahead
- Tailbone down towards the floor and in towards your pubis
- Do not bring the hips lower than the level of the knees
- Keep your weight on your heels
- Parallel arms and shoulders away from your ears
Benefits: Strengthens the quads and the lower body. Stretches the upper body. Stimulates the organs of the abdomen and heart. Gives vigour and energy to the whole body.
Beginners: you can practice the position with your feet hips width apart. You don’t necessarily need to bring your thighs parallel to the floor. Another option is to practice the position placing your hands on your knees for extra help. If you have a partner you could have him/her pushing your heels down towards the floor.